A Well-Balanced Plan

0
48

By Steve Cyr

Steve Cyr

Whether it’s the financial guru on TV or your well-intentioned father-in-law, everyone seems to have a foolproof trick that will fix your finances. Unfortunately, a single trick or tactic isn’t enough. A well-balanced financial plan depends on a three-pronged strategy: managing your wealth (investments), managing your risk (insurance), and managing your cash (budgeting). Learning to focus your energy on these three areas will provide you and your family with peace of mind and get you started on the path to financial security.

Strategy 1: Manage Your Retirement Savings

No one has ever complained about having saved too much money for retirement. So, whatever your savings are now, save more. You can contribute a portion of your pay to your Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), a 401(k), a 403(b), or other employer offered plan, often times receiving matching contributions. Although the amount you contribute will vary depending on your situation, you should be contributing a set amount every month. Set up an automatic payroll deduction today to take the guesswork out of regularly saving for retirement and be sure to talk to a financial advisor to make sure you’re on the path to meeting your retirement goals.

Strategy 2: Manage Your Risk

Risk management involves taking steps to avoid or minimize the financial damage caused by certain risks. This most often is achieved through balanced insurance coverage. We’ll use life insurance as an example. Sometimes, employer benefits offer group coverage. For example, military members have up to $400,000 in benefits under the government’s Service members’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI), with the option to add spousal and/or dependent coverage. Most people, including service members, opt to supplement their SGLI coverage with commercial policies, which allows them to increase their overall coverage now and provide longer-term protection for their post-military lives. Risk management also should include mindful protection of your car, health, personal assets, and home, as well as permanent needs (such as income and estate planning) and temporary needs (such as mortgage, college, and debt).

Strategy 3: Manage Your Cash

Don’t forget the importance of maintaining a basic savings account with the goal of having 3-6 months of your income set aside. This may sound unachievable, but by diverting just 5% (or 4% or 3% or whatever you can manage now) of your monthly income to a savings account, you’ll be surprised at how quickly your family’s savings can grow.

The Final Word

The point of mindful financial planning is to modify behaviors. Ideally, you should divert a percentage of your monthly income (most experts say 20%) toward the three strategies we discussed above and learn to live on the remaining 80%. This will require you and your family to modify your financial behaviors. However, experience has shown that those who learn to live within their means and enjoy the comforts their incomes allow are the ones
who make it.

Steve Cyr is a financial advisor with First Command Financial Services. Steve is graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point with a Bachelor of Science degree with a concentration on Economics and served eight years in the U.S. Army.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.